Saturday, December 15, 2007

Star Struck


The past few Saturdays, Trisha (my running partner) and I have been running our long runs at the Kearns Olympic Oval. It has been way to cold outside for me! Brrr! Anyway, there is a running track around the ice, so the building is cool for running. We have been loving it! This morning, the place was packed because there was a speed skating competition going on. Both Trisha and I were motivated while running because of the great athletes around us. I was thinking, I even said it to Trisha, but I was wondering if we might see some Olympic athletes. As we lapped around and around...what do you know?!?! Derek Parra! Wow! I recognized him right off because of all the Olympic coverage he got back in the day, but I was so excited! He was coaching or something, but not skating. I tapped Trisha on the arm as we were running and tried to say quietly, "Hey! That's Derek Parra!" but I'm sure I said it loud enough for lots of people to hear...headphones...you know... Anyway, I don't think she was nearly as excited as I was. I get a little star struck around famous people. Ha! I am a nerd. As we were wrapping up our run, they announced that Chad Hedrick had just won his heat. I recognized his name too, but I didn't know what he looked like. Now I know, this is his picture. Anyway, it was really cool this morning to see famous athletes. It gave me my motivation for 26 laps which is an 8 mile run!

2 comments:

House of Smiths said...

Okay, it's just not fair. While I'm at home solving world ending two year old fights, and changing poopy diapers your out for an 8 mile run meeting celebrities. Hmm... I guess thats what it's like to live in the glamorous fast lane. LOL. No, but really that is SO exciting. And by the way, I'm TOTALLY the same kind of person. I see ANYONE remotely famous and, I don't do anything extreme but I tend to stare. Example... I went to the baby expo last year and saw the little cast from 'Good Things Utah' and I just thought it was SOOOO cool. I heard it for WEEKS from Cason. "Your a dork, your a fan of 4 Utah moms who make crockpot meals!" haha. See, I am a nerd too! I don't think it's necessarily who they are, but that they are on TV. It seems so weird to me that they could actually lead 'normal' lives. LOL.
Well, sounds like you've been having lots of fun. And I haven't forgotten about getting together, things are just really crazy right now. I'll let you know when they start to slow down!
love ya
Shelley

Villarreal's said...

Dix- do I have to remind u that three times a week u run amongst "THE GREAT!" :) he he he. Come on, am I a great partner or what?! Love ya!