I love the Ogden Marathon! That being said, why does it not love me back?! I was hoping for a PR this time...

The day was beautiful...I had a cute outfit (I was even asked to have my photo taken for Runners World Magazine!!)...I had my go-to girl, Heather, with me...I was running with a pacer named Bill...I was also running on with an injury. I felt fine and kept up with the 3:45 pacer until mile 17. Let me give you a little background...If you run a 3:45 marathon, your pace is an 8:35 mile. (Keep in mind that you have to maintain that pace for 26.2 miles). At mile 16, I was feeling tired. I felt like I was breathing hard and my hamstring was screaming!! I looked down at my GPS and saw that we were running a 7:22 pace! I hollered up to Bill that we were running too fast and he said that he was going to have us run faster when we were going down hill. I kept up the 7:22 pace through that mile, but then I was history. I had to slow it way down. My hamstring was now so tight and sore that it was hard to think about anything else. I just wanted to get across the finish line so I could be done. Heather was fighting a battle of her own (something did NOT like her stomach and wouldn't let her keep anything down) so we were both on our own! :(

I crossed the finish line at a disappointing 3:59 with tears in my eyes. Maybe the Ogden Marathon and I hold a one sided relationship. I'm considering a break up...






4 comments:
I'm sorry, I still think that's amazing. I can barely drive 26 miles that fast.
Plus, your outfit is so cute!
Well, break up or not, I think it's amazing. Way to go. I can't imagine going that pace for any length of time. ;)
Seriously an 8:35. WOW!! You are awesome!! I am so impressed and you should be too!! I'm considering the Ogden half next year. I love downhill!!
It truly is the marathon that does not love us back. Do you think we only love it because it's the only one we've done together? hmmm...maybe we should branch out and try a different one... I don't care that we had a bad day, I still love running with you!
Post a Comment