Monday, March 9, 2009

The City That Never Sleeps

I've heard that Las Vegas is the "City that never sleeps". I have been to Las Vegas. I have been there several times. I used to believe it was the city that never sleeps because people stay up all night...blackjack, slot machines and the temptation for "free money" luring them to stay just a little longer...

I no longer believe that Las Vegas is the "City that never sleeps."

I spent the better part of last week in New Orleans, Louisiana for a business trip.

New Orleans is truly the "City that never sleeps". Why would people waist their time sleeping? There are bars on every corner. Loud, exciting music to lure people inside. Streets are closed off for vehicles because there is so much foot traffic. Alcohol is sold "To-Go" so those enjoying the evening may enjoy it with a beverage in each hand...sloshing it around onto unsuspecting strangers.

I don't drink. I don't party. I enjoy quite evenings with my husband. He was not able to join me on this trip so I promised him that we would be careful (I traveled with one other co-worker), that we would avoid being out late, that we wouldn't talk to strangers and that I would run on the treadmill not the streets (he knows how much I detest running on treadmills). We were good little girls. We were back to the hotel room by 9:00 each night. We didn't talk to strangers. We stayed out of trouble. We had delicious food. We did a little shopping. We learned a lot at our convention. We also had the opportunity of staying over a Saturday night.

Saturday nights in New Orleans never end. We heard music and partying all night long. When we got up at 4:00 in the morning and had a taxi drive us to the airport, it was like the party had just started. People everywhere! I mean everywhere! There were hookers and cross-dressers and pimps and drunks all over the place! I wanted to take a picture because I almost didn't believe what I saw, but I thought it might make my camera explode so I refrained. The taxi driver told us that she normally carries a gun (but wasn't that morning)! Yikes. What kind of town is that?!

Glad I could visit, but boy was I glad to come home. I love little naive Utah. I love that we have crazy liquor laws and heavy law enforcement for prostitution. Mostly, though, I love that I am back home with my hubby!
Louisiana has a lot of colorful people...and fish apparently. (This was by the pool in our hotel)

This was not Saturday night. This was a typical afternoon. The city is kind of dirty and felt like a 1-star version of New York.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! My husband has to go there a couple of times for work, and he claims it is the dirtiest city he's ever been too! But he always gets a kick out of going, he loves to watch all the crazies running around town. Did you happen to see all the hurricane damage? He says it's still all there as if it happened just a few weeks ago.
I was also going to ask you, where can I get myself a bottle of peppermint oil?

Tiffany said...

I really have no desire to go there. A neighbor of mine used to live there and loves it so much. I think I would have to have her show me that lovable side of the city.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I would love some! I'll try to remember to bring some money by before you see her, I was actually surprised it is that cheap, we buy a lot of herbal stuff and it is always so dang expensive! Thanks a ton!

Our Family said...

I have been to New Orleans, it was a fun and exciting city to visit but that is all. I serious think it is the dirtiest city ever, it was a true eye opener for me.

Dibble's said...

Dixie, this post killed me! I seriously could imagine myself there with you. I can't believe how crazy that place is! I didn't know it was so dirty and gross! I'm glad you were safe!

Villarreal's said...

Haven't been there, so I cant compare the two, but I am in Vegas right now for a little getaway and I tell ya what... It is so nice to be able to have 24 hr service and play all day long! I love these cities! Hope u are doing well!
-Trisha