
Many of you know that each year, McKay and I (and several of our dearest friends) ride in a charity ride for Multiple Sclerosis. Each rider has to raise a minimum of $250 in order to participate. (Not including the entry fee we each had to pay). All the funds are donated to the national Multiple Sclerosis society. We would like to thank all of you who helped us raise funds for such a great cause! Our ride was a success and we had fun doing it!
These are two of my dear friends! What would I do without you gals!?! The first day, Heather talked McKay and I into biking 100 miles. It actually wasn't too bad as far as the biking goes (McKay pulled us for most of it -- meaning we drafted behind him -- he is a die hard!) I had a great attitude most of the ride...let me explain...I had just ridden 75 miles. At most of the pit-stops they had snacks. Some snacks I could eat. Some I could not. (No peanuts for Dixie!!). My belly was growling. I told those biking with me that I couldn't wait for lunch because I needed some serious fuel and a turkey sandwich sounded delicious!
We arrived at the lunch stop. I waited in line. I got to the table with the "sandwiches". The volunteer said, "We have peanut butter and jam or peanut butter and honey." I was speachless! I looked at the table to see if there was at least some plain bread...nope. All the sandwiches were pre-made. I looked back at the lady who was smiling kindly at me and said, "How could you do this to me?! I am deathly allergic to peanuts!!" Her kind smile faded as she realized she didn't know quite how to deal with me.
My dear sweet husband did know how to deal with me (fortunately for the innocent volunteer)! He walked me over to the nearest market where we bought some turkey, hamburger buns and a chocolate milk. My mood was back to normal once I got some food in my belly, but I still couldn't bring myself to apologize to the volunteer...what were they thinking...no turkey sandwiches...
The funniest part about the whole trip was the hotel room. Heather, McKay and I usually share a room and save a little money. When we opened the door to our room this year...McKay started laughing...one bed! He said he would sleep on the floor. Sick! Who would dare sleep on a nasty hotel room floor! What did we do?...we all crawled in the same bed and slept like babies! (After laughing hysterically of course!!)







5 comments:
Way to go McKay! :)
That looks like so much fun- the ride, not necessarily sharing a bed with McKay. I'm so sorry about the lame lunch though. When I was reading your story I thought "no way!" when I read about the PB&J. Glad you made it through.
Dixie, I just love all of the biking and running that you guys do, you're so incredible! Totally insane (mostly just because I'm a total wuss and couldn't do it myself!) but incredible! And I really can't believe that they only had pb&j! Hello! Peanut allergies are the most prevalent allergies!
"Come and knock on our door...we've been waiting for you!" Just thinking about that weekend makes me laugh...
I'm glad you run for me, You filled my running quota for the year so i'm good now. You should come camping with us more, You guys rock!! We should hang out and take pictures too. So many things to do and so little time. We should all just retire early and play all day,.... You in?
Oh, my! The bed! HA! That was probably a little wierd for your friend but I'm glad it worked out. The three's company song that Heather mentioned makes it so much more funny, too. I'm so sorry about the PB betrayal. I can't believe they didn't think about allergies and have some alternatives. I'm so glad McKay is so good to take care of you and he knows just what you need.
Post a Comment