Monday, September 14, 2009

Who Needs an Ocean to Surf?!

We live in Utah. We are hours and hours and hours away from an ocean. We have the saltiest (is saltiest a word...?) lake nearby. Lake - not ocean. I thought you needed an ocean to surf. Not the case. You can use a lake (We used Starvation Reservoir over Labor Day weekend). All you need is a boat, a surf board and skills.


McKay has skills.
First time out...he got right up! To ride the wave, you start with a rope. If you have skills, you throw the rope back into the boat. Like I said, McKay has skills.
If the boat driver has skills, you can get close to unsuspecting children in the middle of the lake and give them high-five. Our boat driver had skills.
Don't forget to bring good music. Good music improves skills.

If you can't get enough surfing in during daylight hours, bring camera with a flash. It will light the way.

Lucky for us Utahns (or "U-Tards" as some of our out-of-state-friends call us...) we have skills and imagination. who knew you could surf in fresh (and freezing) water!



4 comments:

amelia said...

we've been wanting to try that!!!
way to kick water butt McKay!
lets go!

Heather said...

That looks so fun!

Julie said...

SO IMPRESSIVE! I had no idea McKay had such skills. I can't believe you guys kept going so long. So did you surf too Dixie?

Villarreal's said...

Honestly, is there anything you two don't do? ;)